INCIDENTAL FAILURE.

Sunday, December 16, 2007

"oh, and I bought another Sonic Youth Album. It sucked, it was just noise"

I went and saw Juno last night. Go watch it. It's chock full of music references, a soundtrack that blows fucking Zack Braff's dumb ass out of the water, and a very cute and wonderful little love story that will have couples cuddling on the way out, and the single folks slitting their wrists. The main characters, Juno MacGuff and Paulie Bleeker, are played by Ellen Page and Michael Cera, respectively. Ellen Page (Juno) is absolutely adorable in this (She played Shadowcat in the third X-Men movie, and in some crappy looking street justice To Catch a Predator movie called Hard Candy). She plays a (perhaps unrealistically) charistmatic whip-smart high school junior with razor sharp sense of sarcasm and wit. She gets knocked up after first time sex with sort of boyfriend, played by Michael Cera (the timid kid from Superbad and Arrested Development). He plays the same kind of character in each of his roles, but he plays it well. This is a first for writer Diablo Cody, and I hope it's not the last. The movie ends with the characters performing "Anyone Else But You" originally by the Modly Peaches, which is pretty amazing. "Up Up, Down Down, left right left right, B A, start. Just because we use cheats doesn't mean we're not smart." Genius!



I also saw a trailer for a black and white animated movie called Persepolis based on autobiographical graphic novels by Marjane Satrapi about growing up during the Islamic revolution that looked really good.


If it works out I think they should totally make the graphic novel series, Maus, into movie.


11 comments:

whitney said...

that movie was so fucking cute, i nearly shit myself.

dee.random said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dee.random said...

kudos.


though your friend last nite
suggested i was playing hard to get.
i harldy think thats true.
actually i would say that was your
usual thing you do.
thanks for coming out.

L O R I said...

diablo cody -- yes. that's the woman who did the interview i was telling you about. dude, she's rad. she worked as a stripper and a sex phone operator and NOT out of the desperation of a single unedcuated mother. the interview was hilarious. she had the same wit and sharp sarcasm like the juno. i can't wait to see this.

Janelle said...

didnt she chop off a dick at the end of hard candy?

Modern Wolf said...

I haven't seen it yet... way to spoil the ending. hahaha

Janelle said...

i'm a bitch.

James said...

janelle, the dick didn't really come off.

Janelle said...

ha! you said dick.

Anonymous said...

genius? really? i feel like anyone can drop random references; it seems to me like a cheap way to make a connection with an audience without real substance.

persopolis was amazing however. crazy animation. great score too.

Modern Wolf said...

Yeah, you're right. It was kind of tongue in cheek. I should reserve use of the word "genius" for real substance. I was talking about the song, not the movie, in case that was misunderstood. I guess what I meant was "cute." Yeah, "cute" has much lower expectations. Though I firmly believe that, when it comes to music, simple, done right, is just as hard. One of the next lines in the song is "wiggle a turd out of the bottom of yur pants." Not exaclty most people's idea of real substance.

P.S. I read your review of the movie, and agree for the most part. I most definitely can appreciate subtlety, but I don't think I'd mind a few more Ghost Worlds before the next couple of decades. I don't watch enough movies, or note their directors or writers often enough to make more comparative criticism, but I got a kick out of Juno. The Sonic Youth line had particular significance to me, because I've had a similar conversation. Napoleon Dynamite, on the other hand, was only kind of funny once. One trick pony.