INCIDENTAL FAILURE.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Planes Mistaken For Stars at the Tower bar. 9/21

Tonight I will be going to see the mighty mighty Planes Mistaken for Stars. The first (and only) time I saw PMFS, they were opening for Converge at the Che Cafe. I'm pretty sure this was in 2001 after "Jane Doe" and "Fucking Fight" had just come out. I forgot who else played. The show was sold out, so a small group of us watched the show from an open door to the side of and just behind the stage. We got there a couple of songs into their set, and they were already shirtless and covered in sweat. I was fucking mesmerized. They put everything they had into playing. I was blown away. Later the door man let us inside for the Converge set after a few people left (fools). Converge was equally mind blowing. I had up until then just sort of dismissed the whole metal-core genre as a whole. I listened to punk before I listened to hardcore, not metal. Even though the floor looked more like a fucking martial arts exhibition than a pit, which was a little disconcerting, it was fun. Jacob Bannon is hell of a front man and an amazing artist. He and Gared O'Donnell are my fucking heroes. I interviewed Gared a couple of years ago for Modern Fix after the release of "Up in them Guts." I spoke with him for more than a hour, and transcribed about 6 times more than the magazine's interview format called for. They printed it on a page and a half, and posted the interview in its entirety online. Their online format changed, and I don't think it's online any longer. As soon as I get home I'll post the full interview, and review tonight's show at the Tower Bar in San Diego. I'm still in Riverside, but leave today. I have tomorrow off, and then I'll be working in Orange county for the following week. yay for me.

No comments: