INCIDENTAL FAILURE.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Sessions Fest and the not so distant future.

Tomorrow morning I head off to Rosarito Beach in Baja California, Mexico, for a wedding. I'm staying in Mexico til Saturday, and hopefully returning to San Diego in time to catch the Sessions Fest in Golden Hill. Then on Sunday I have to drive to Riverside, Ca where I'll be spending the week doing some work for the Sd County office of Ed. Yay. The week after that it's Santa Ana for another week. I get back the day before Batwings' first show in alomst 3 months. Easily the longest we've ever gone without playing a show. Hopefully we don't suck total dick.

Here's the complete set list for the Sessions Fest, which is Scott Cat Dirt's baby, with a little break down of the bands I'm familiar with.

12:15 to 12:45 - The Corvinas

I genuinely really like this band, not just because they are all good friends of mine. They're fellow Imperial Valley Rats now based out of San Diego. My band shares a practice space with them, I work with the singer, and the second guitarist used to live two blocks from me and introduced me to my first girlfriend in High School. All coincidence... They are a rockin' three piece garage punk band and sorely underrated. Get there early.

1:15 to 1:45 - Wild Weekend

All girl Zeros cover band. I saw their first show at the Coffee House on Broadway (or CHOB). I give them credit for it being their first show, but they definitely could have been a lot tighter, and maybe more enthusiastic on stage, but it's not like I couldn't recognize the songs or anything. Maybe it's too bad that more of their draw/appeal might be a matter of the other bands that these girls that have been in (members of the Atoms, and Squiddo) and the simple fact that they are cute girls, and not the fact that they are playing Zeros songs. I really couldn't say why people were there. There was a pretty decent sized crowd (including one of the members of the Zeros). However, it didn't seem like there were as many people who were familiar with the songs as I would have thought. This will be their third or fourth show. I'm sure they tightened up and are maybe a little more comfortable stage, so I'm looking forward to seeing them again. I love the Zeros and I had fun at their first show. I'm pretty sure that the singer is dating one of the members of the Zeros, and that he's now joined her band Squiddo. My band played a show with them at the San Diego Sports Club about a year ago, but I don't think they stuck around to see us play. It was kind of a lonely night for both bands as far as attendance was concerned. SDSC is kind of a shitty venue to begin with, but wednesdays can be rough anyway.

2:15 to 2:45 - Red Pony Clock
3:15 to 3:45 - Kite Flying Society

Haven't gotten a chance to see this band live yet, but always hear lots of good things. Pretty and delicate pop ala Shins, Rogue Wave...

4:15 to 4:45 - Habitat Sound System
5:15 to 5:45 - Pizza!
6:15 to 6:45 - MC Flow
7:15 to 7:45 - Atoms

You like Devo or the Dickies? They do too.

8:15 to 8:45 - Fifty on their Heels

Singer Junior Metro is another Valley rat. We went to the same high school, even attended at the same time, but have never really met. He is a few years older. He's been in bands since I was in jr. high. If you haven't heard Fifty on their Heels yet, get your ass out there. Dancey, kinda of snotty, and well versed in all your favorite punk and new wave bands.

9:15 to 9:45 - The Prayers

Ex members of Plot to Blow Up the Eiffel Tower. The only time I've seen the Prayers was at a house party and I couldn't hear shit. I am, as of yet, undecided about whether or not to believe the hype.

Sessions Fest is in Golden Hill Park, 25th Street & Russ Blvd., north of the Turf Supper Club, parking on the street and in the park.

No comments: