INCIDENTAL FAILURE.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Planes Mistaken For Stars at the Tower Bar 9/21

I had taken the news of the breakup of Planes Mistaken For Stars with a heavy heart. I had been out of town all week and nearly wet my pants when I found out they were playing in San Diego one last time, and I was actually going to be around to see them. After missing every PMFS show since 2001, I had decided there was absolutely no fucking way I was going to miss their last San Diego show ever as they hit the road on their farewell tour. The Tower bar's not a big place, so I made sure to get there early. I was greeted at the door by my good friend and favorite local writer, Cullen Hendrix (Dirtbag's Delight/City Beat/Music Matters). Coincidentally it was his 30th birthday. What a hell of a way to celebrate 3 decades! There were a lot of familiar faces, Cullen of course, Rosey from SDDialedIn, Corey and April from Vena Cava, Robbie from long defunct Danny Tanner, Bobby and Bryan from Batwings, Larry from Slab City, Dan (I think) from Punkboard, Lynn from Lynn's Rags, and a ton of other people. Get Your Death On and Kingdom of Magic opened up. Both bands play a similar form of heavy sludgy metal, but neither gets anywhere near the brutal aggression of Planes. PMFS started out with the obligatory warning, "this song is about fucking," to which someone replied "They all are!" They started the set with older material from Knife in the Marathon and Fucking Fight. They played some newer material from last years "Mercy," in the middle and wrapped it up with easily one of my favorite PMFS songs ever, "Thunder in the Night Forever" from the "Spearheading the Sin Movement" EP. I ended the night pumping my fist and losing my voice screaming "We ride to, We ride to, We ride to, We ride to fight!"

I need to buy a new digital camera, mine is caput. For pictures from the night, check the recap at SDDialedin.

No comments: