INCIDENTAL FAILURE.

Friday, September 28, 2007

The Flu is a dick, Free the Robots is the Shit.

I wasn't feeling all that well on Wednesday, but I made it through work and went back to the hotel to sleep it off. Got a nap in, showered. Felt pretty good. I should have stayed in, but when friend asked if I wanted to go out and that she'd pick me up, I couldn't bring myself to turn down the offer. I told myself I would take it easy on the drinks, and just power through it if I got a headache or whatever. I knew I had the morning off, so no big deal, right? I didn't have to be at work 'til like 11. We started at a bar in Santa Ana called Memphis. It was actually a restaurant. I didn't eat, I just had a couple of beers and started the long night of brain boiling fever denial. I walked down the street to the 7-11 and bought some painkillers and kept telling myself, "just stick it out til 2 and you'll get to sleep in." Next, we went to a cool little bar/venue called Detroit Bar. It was actually a pretty big place. There was kind of an island bar (3/4) , a room for the live music with dance floor, a room for a dj with smaller dance floor, a room with a padded bench all the way around it and a fireplace, a room with a couple of pool tables in the back for if you weren't really interested in the music, and there were tables here and there. [Click on the banner taken from their website to see four different views of the bar] Did I mention they sold pints in keg cups for a dollar? When I first got there I saw this 5 piece disco punk band called Funeral Party play. They seemed really young and all dressed like Jim Greco lookalikes (who is a Johnny Thunders lookalike), but hey, it's Orange County. I guess Heroin Chic never really went out. They were above average, but that kind of shit is a little played out and wasn't really my thing to begin with. Ok, fuck, I don't know why I have a hard time admitting I like this shit even though it's all interchangable, but they were pretty damn good. Think Moving Units, Rapture, insert dance rock band here. They have a left handed drummer which I loved, and really good bassist. After they finished, Free the Robots went on. FTR performed as a three piece but is really the brain child of Chris Alfaro. It's really awesome hip-hop ambient psychedelic triphop... you get the picture (fun with genres) with jazz samples, live moog, and enought dynamics and changes to keep your head bobbing. Anyway, I felt like dog shit when I got home. I missed work the next day and spent about 16 hours in bed before taking some more theraflu, soup, and gatorade and getting the fuck back in bed because of the ridiculous brain melting fever and unrelenting body aches. The Flu is a dick.

1 comment:

MRBird said...

yo. miss you, buddy!